Friday, 30 August 2013

Two days in the life of...

Yesterday was not the greatest day.

It seemed filled with issues. Nothing major...just one of those days where lots of little things seem to all occur at once:-
- Test environment set up issues which noone seemed to have the experience/time/capability to resolve
- Software installation issues with license activation and missing components which seemed to beat the engineers and technical specialists alike
- Change requests coming into a project in a 'cruise control' mode at a late stage

It was one of those days where it was easy to think - "why do I do this job again?". I've got to be honest and say I was guilty of thinking just that.

Cut to today.

- Test environment now fully working.
- Production release date agreed.
- Change requests assessed and impact negligible
- Software installation and license issues fully resolved by the middleware specialist and developers happy!

It was one of those days which makes you think "That's why I do this job!"

Having the best people you can on your project team, who you can trust to proactively resolve these issues is everything for the success of your project, and for your own sense of sanity and job satisfaction.

That, and a healthy dose of positivity and sheer bloody mindedness from us PMs to keep driving the issues to be resolved and not being afraid to "roll your own sleeves up" when required.

On that positive note...I can enjoy my weekend away at the British MotoGP at Silverstone with a clear mind. Come on Cal!

No comments:

Post a Comment